We still have a couple weeks left until the official start of summer, but if the record-breaking air travel numbers from Memorial Day weekend are any indication, this is going to be a very busy travel season. The Traveler has just released the results of their 2023 Summer Travel Survey, which finds that 42% of respondents plan to travel more this year than last and just over half (54%) of them will be flying.
If you’re one of those folks taking to the friendly skies, you’ll want things to go as smoothly as possible and part of that is going with the right airline. Thankfully, the survey reveals the airlines Americans are most likely to avoid flying at all costs.
- Spirit Airlines — 21.06%
- Allegiant Air — 16.36%
- American Airlines — 14.40%
- Frontier Airlines — 14.30%
- Delta Air Lines — 12.63%
- JetBlue — 12.63%
- Alaska Airlines — 10.68%
- Southwest Airlines — 10.28%
- United Airlines — 7.64%
- Hawaiian Airlines — 5.48%
- The survey also finds that for 31% of Americans, cost is most important, so they don’t rule out any airlines.
- Another 16% say that the airline that offers the flight dates and times they want is the one they use for each trip.
- According to the Transportation Security Administration, close to 9.8-million people went through security over the four-day Memorial Day weekend.
- That’s about 300-thousand more than the same weekend in 2019.
- The Friday of Memorial Day weekend (May 26th, 2023) saw 2.74-million people fly, setting a post-pandemic single-day record.
Source: The Vacationer