While it’s pretty important to keep your home and family safe with a home security system, it sounds like some people aren’t using theirs for its intended purpose.
A new survey finds:
- 25% of people who have a home security system admit they use theirs to spy on their neighbors.
- 14.5% say they’ve even caught their neighbors on camera walking around naked.
- The generation most likely to spy on their neighbors is Gen X.
- Gen Z actually use their cameras to keep away from their neighbors, with 30% saying they use them to avoid people when they knock on the door.
But most people don’t actually use their cameras to spy.
- The most common reasons folks get security cameras are to:
- Make sure their property is safe (48.7%)
- Monitor their package deliveries (40.8%)
- Watch for porch pirates (37%)
- One in seven actually say they’ve caught a porch pirate with their camera.
- Interestingly, the thing surveillance cameras catch the most each year is friends trying to surprise a homeowner with a visit (31%)
- Although 13% insist their cameras have caught other surprise guests, like ghosts, aliens and more.
- Other things cameras have caught include:
- Their own drunken behavior (22.3%)
- Person not picking up after their pet (17.9%)
- Someone falling on the stairs (17.8%)
- Cleaning staff stealing (15.3%)
- Person stealing gas from car (13.7%)
- Teenager sneaking out (11.4%)
- Drunk roommate shenanigans (11.2%)
Source: Study Finds