The 2022 Major League Baseball season is finally upon us, but do Americans really care? Well, a new survey set out to discover how folks really feel about baseball these days.
A new YouGov poll finds:
- Half of those polled say they have at least a little interest in the upcoming season.
- 27% say they plan to watch games on TV this season, while only 12% plan to actually go to a game.
- When it comes to teams, 36% say they have a favorite MLB team.
- Teams most commonly picked as favorites include:
- New York Yankees (10%)
- Boston Red Sox (9%)
- Atlanta Braves (8%)
- The teams least likely to be picked as a favorite include:
- San Diego Padres
- Miami Marlins
- Oakland Athletics
Of course, there are lots of reasons why someone would choose to root for a particular baseball team. Some of the reasons include:
- Where they grew up (46%)
- Their family (36%)
- Where they live now (27%)
- Their friends (20%)
- The players (18%)
- The team’s record (8%)
As for why some people may not be enjoying MLB any more, it seems most folks don’t feel it’s about the fans any more.
- In fact, 79% say baseball has become more of a business than a sport.
- Only 21% of people don’t agree.
LET'S GO YANKEES!