Warming Centers in Connecticut & safety Tips #PeopleAndPets
Warming Centers & Cold Weather Information
United Way 2-1-1 is Connecticut’s statewide, 24 hour, information and referral service. Click on the links below for local, state and federal information and resources available to Connecticut residents regarding extreme cold weather events.
Warming Centers and Shelters
Click here for a list of warming centers that have been opened throughout the State. To see if there is a specific center in your community, type in your city, town or location, and hit search. If there is no warming center listed in your town/city, please note that libraries, senior centers and other public locations are good places to keep warm or seek shelter.
You can also search the 2-1-1 database for homeless drop-in centers that can be visited during the day. If you need a homeless shelter, please dial 2-1-1 (available 24/7).
If you are a city/town official and need to update or list a warming center or shelter, please email email@example.com with the details and your contact information.
For additional information and resources regarding severe cold weather, see the following 2-1-1 eLibrary papers:
- For severe cold weather tips and resources, visit https://uwc.211ct.org/severe-cold-weather-tips-and-resources/
- For renters with no heat in their apartment, visit https://uwc.211ct.org/heat-complaints-renters/ for more information
- For safety tips regarding carbon monoxide (CO), visit https://uwc.211ct.org/carbon-monoxide-co/
- For information about how to prepare for winter storms and blizzards, visit https://uwc.211ct.org/winter-storms-and-blizzards/
State & Federal Disaster Emergency Service Resources
- Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection (CTDEMHS)
- Department of Public Health (CTDPH) – “Cold Weather Tips”
- Department of Public Health (CTDPH) – “Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detection Tips & Resources”
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) – “Winter Weather Tips”
- American Red Cross – “Cold Weather Safety Tips”
PETS get cold too!!
Bikers Against Animal Cruelty would like to put out a PSA for any animal that is left outside in the cold with no shelter. " B.A.A.C. is offering free shelters that have been hand made to any family that needs one for their dog or cat or if you see an animal left in the cold. Please don't let another poor animal freeze to death. Just send an email to :